I think about this a lot (another little obsessive thing):
Should I use chalk when climbing on my woody in my garage?
A few pros:
1. The holds won’t be greasy.
2. I’ll stick tougher moves.
3. My hands will feel good and dry.
1. Hitting greasy holds at home makes it easier to stick greasy holds away.
2. All hard moves are relative.
3. Chalk will gum everything up.
4. The artwork might get covered.
5. And finally, the haikus might get smudged out:
Advantage: No chalk.
I know. This is an important issue.