So many beautiful days here. The sky is a smear of pure blue, and even high cirrus clouds don’t mean rain coming.
– I followed a Mexican Rosy Boa into the creosote the other night.
– I rock-climbed with a few survey biologists.
– I rock-climbed with two excellent Japanese climbers all afternoon one day even though we didn’t speak each other’s languages.
– I explored another granite-piled mountain behind my house.
– I finished revising my novel (THIS IS THE PART WHERE YOU LAUGH) and sent it to my editor at Knopf.
– I found a hipster mustache in a rotten potato.
– I camped out five nights under the stars.
– I found petroglyphs with my buddy Coop.
– I read and read and read, and especially liked Nicholson Baker’s THE ANTHOLOGIST and Anne Patchett’s THIS IS THE STORY OF A HAPPY MARRIAGE.
– And now I am incredibly excited to be going home soon to see my girls.