Peter Brown Hoffmeister is the author of five books including the recent novels This Is The Part Where You Laugh (Knopf, Random House, 2016) and Too Shattered For Mending (Knopf, Random House, 2017), a novel that’s featured in this review by the New York Times.
- Hoffmeister’s novels have earned starred reviews from Kirkus Reviews, Booklist, Publisher’s Weekly, School Library Journal, VOYA, and The Bulletin.
- His novel This Is The Part Where You Laugh was a School Library Journal Popular Pick, selected for the “VOYA Perfect Tens 2016” year-end list, and earned an American Library Association distinction for “Best Fiction For Young Adults.”
Hoffmeister is an author, rock climber, public speaker, outdoor expert, and athlete gear-tester for Ridgemont Outfitters. He lives in Eugene, Oregon with his wife Jennie and two daughters, and teaches at South Eugene High School: Literature, creative writing, outdoor pursuits, and survival. He also served as the spring 2015 Writer-In-Residence at Joshua Tree National Park.
His first book, The End of Boys, was released by Soft Skull, Spring 2011, earning a Goodreads Best Books of 2011 Selection. His second book, Let Them Be Eaten By Bears: A Fearless Guide to Taking Our Kids into the Great Outdoors was released by Perigee (Penguin Book Group) in May, 2013, and is being translated into Italian by the publisher RCS Libri/Rizzoli and into Chinese by Good Earth Publishing. Bears was also selected as one of Parents Magazine’s Top 5 Books of 2013. His first novel, Graphic the Valley, was released by Tyrus Books in July of 2013 and earned starred reviews from Booklist and Library Journal, featured reviews by The Wall Street Journal and Publishers Weekly.
His fiction collection, Loss, won the 2006 Oregon Literary Arts Fellowship, and his essay, “How to Break Up With Your Climbing Partner”, won the Rock and Ice National Bloggers’ Brawl. His features have appeared in Writer’s Digest, Vice Magazine, Climbing Magazine, Rock and Ice Magazine, and Gripped Magazine.
Hoffmeister has appeared recently on:
– The One Bad Mother podcast – Maximum Fun Network
– “The Jordan Rich Show” – CBS Radio, Boston, MA
– “Going Home,” KXYL, Dallas, TX
– “The Dean and Don Show,” ABC radio, Iowa
– “Good Parenting,” US/Canada
– “Rude Awakening,” WOCM, Baltimore
– “Coastal Daybreak,” WTKF, North Carolina
– “Tron In The Mornings,” Kona Coast Broadcasting, Colorado
– “Columbia Morning With David Lyle,” KFRU, Missouri
– “Central New York Saturday Morning News,” WSYR, New York
– “Kacey On The Radio,” WHUD, New York, New York
– “The Business of Wisdom,” Dr. Alvin Jones, Washington D.C./North Carolina
– “Penguin Tracks,” Radio For Teen Girls, KOPN, Missouri
– “Kentucky Focus,” Regional Radio, Kentucky
– “The Mitch Carr Show,” CBS Radio, Texas
– “Fox Radio Virginia,” Mike Schikman
– “The Mountain Life,” NPR, Utah
– “Field Notes,” Cincinatti, Ohio
– “Wisconsin On Air,” NPR, Wisconsin
To request speaking engagements, readings, or interviews, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hoffmeister is currently at work on his sixth book, a fourth novel.